Claudia Porto is an independent museums consultant. Her main areas of interest are collections interpretation, digital solutions and the social role of museums. She is currently involved in developing partnerships between museums in Brazil and abroad.
Claudia is a member of the Rio de Janeiro State Council for Cultural Policy, a board member of COMCOL (International ICOM Committee for Collecting), board member of the ICOM National Committee – Brazil and a consultant for the Wikimedia Group in Brazil.
She is a professor at the MBA Museums Management (Universidade Cândido Mendes) teaching Museums & Social Media, and gives lectures and short-term courses about the digital museums world.
Between 2015 and 2016, Claudia created the online project for the Museu Histórico da Cidade (Historic City Museum of Rio de Janeiro) and the app Sao Cristovao Cultural, about the house-museum Casa da Marquesa de Santos; and worked as a consultant and producer for the British Council Transform Museums programme in events such as the course International Museum Academy and the Conferência Internacional “Museus para Quê?” (International Conference “Museums, what for?”).
Claudia holds a degree in Museum Studies (UNIRIO), a post-graduate degree in Conservation of Works of Art (UIA, Italy), an MBA in Business Management (UFRJ) and has specialized in Management and Preservation of Scientific Collections (Fundação Oswaldo Cruz – Fiocruz in 2013).
Together with journalist Luis Marcelo Mendes, she produced in Brazil the American initiative #DrinkingaboutMuseums (6 editions in Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and São Paulo) and the British initiative Museums Showoff: Rio (6 editions in Rio).
In 2015, Claudia organized the first seminar in Rio de Janeiro on collections development – COMCOL 2015 Seminar, with 12 Brazilian institutions and a specialist from The Netherlands. See the seminar here.
She also worked as:
- Consultant and producer for the project Exchange of Method, an arts/mental health initiative by Scottish institutions Collective Gallery and Artlink supported by the British Council. The project included study visits and debates in Rio de Janeiro and Edinburgh.
- Director of the Casa da Marquesa de Santos in Rio de Janeiro, responsible for the museum’s Master Plan (historic house museum/fashion museum).
- Museums consultant for COC/Fiocruz in a project for the requalification of historical and architectural heritage.
- Coordinated the volunteers for the 23rd ICOM Gerenal Conference in Rio de Janeiro.
- Technical advisor at the Museu da República (Museum of the Republic).
- Arts and Exchanges Coordinator for the British Council in Rio.
- Communications & Project coordinator of web content companies for 15 years, for clients such as Brazilian Academy of Science, IBGE (Brazilian Institute for Geography and Statistics) and America Online Brazil.