Claudia Porto is a museologist with vast experience as a museums consultant and producer both in Brazil and abroad. Her main topics of interest are digital projects, collections interpretation and the social role of museums. She is a board member of the ICOM National Committee – Brazil, a member of ICOM Strategic Plan Standing Committee (2016-2022) and coordinates the global movement #MuseumWeek in Brazil.
- Portuguese (native)
- English, fluent
- Italian, intermediate
- French, basic
- Teaches Social Media Strategies for Museums at MBA Gestão de Museus (Universidade Cândido Mendes) in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo;
- Public servant at the Congress of Brazil‘s Preservation Department since 2017;
- Museums consultant and producer since 2013;
- Consultant and producer for the Scottish project Exchange of Method, an arts/mental health initiative by Collective Gallery and Artlink;
- Arts and Exchanges Coordinator for the British Council for the states of Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo;
- British Council’s consultant and producer for the Transform Museums Programme (2013-2017);
- Together with a partner, brought to Brazil the American initiative #DrinkingaboutMuseums (8 editions in Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, Florianópolis, São Paulo and Brasília) and the British initiative Museums Showoff: Rio (6 editions in Rio).
- Director of Casa da Marquesa de Santos in Rio de Janeiro, responsible for the museum’s Master Plan (historic house museum/fashion museum);
- Museums consultant for COC/Fiocruz in a project for the requalification of historical and architectural heritage;
- Technical advisor at the Museu da República (Museum of the Republic);
- Communications & Project coordinator of web content companies for 15 years, for clients such as Brazilian Academy of Science, IBGE (Brazilian Institute for Geography and Statistics) and America Online.
- Website for the Museu da República (Republic Museum), the first museum website in Brazil (1996);
- Website (project and content) for the Museu Histórico da Cidade do Rio de Janeiro‘s (Historic City Museum);
- App Sao Cristóvão Cultural (project and content), about the house-museum Casa da Marquesa de Santos;
- IBGE Teen (content and illustrations), website for teenagers developed for Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics), the main provider of data and information about the country, linked to the Ministry of Planning.
- Award-winning Mingau Digital (project and content), website for children with 4 million pageviews (1997-2015) and the first Brazilian website to publish all content under a Creative Commons license.
Education & Qualifications
- Graduate degree in Museology (Universidade do Rio de Janeiro – UNIRIO);
- Post-graduate degree in Conservation of Works of Art (Università Internazionale dell’Arte, Italy);
- Post-graduate degree in Management and Preservation of Scientific Collections (Fundação Oswaldo Cruz – Fiocruz);
- MBA in Business Administration (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro – UFRJ).
- Member of International ICOM Committee for Collecting – COMCOL, board member for two consecutive mandates (2013-2015, 2016-2018).